Sunday, December 25, 2022

"Ocean" - RCA 6SN7 preamp

 

















Once more drawing from vintage tubes I've had for years here is another fabulous sounding super simple preamp. On a compact cast Al enclosure and sprayed Ocean Blue Hammertone with large vernier gold knob. Two inputs and external PS which uses electronic smoothing on the HT (DC heater voltage also) with also PIO output caps and carbon film resistors. Solder is WBT silver solder.

An alps pot controls level out as it is on the output rather than the input to ensure an extremely quiet preamp. Wiring is point-2-point and componenet-2-component wiring, no PCBs and no shielded wire to dull the sound. Signal wire is all silver plated, mill-spec. fine copper wire. Gold plated RCAs. 

I have stated on the past I'm a lover of modern high-end Chinese tubes but the last few preamps with vintage Radiotron and now RCA tubes has made me re-consider tube selection in the future. There is an abundance of detail, transparency, warmth and extreme naturalism in the last two builds not sure I have felt in newer expensive tubes. Another gem built mainly from parts on hand. 

1 comment:

Retros said...

I like this so much;)